These are the (finally!) finished Shadow and Ghost socks (from the Cheshire cat pattern at Purlescence). They’re a late birthday present for female-friend-R (in honour of her grey-Ghost-cat and her black-Shadow-cat), who seemed pleased with them and impressed at the cleverness of me (even though I explained that it’s entirely Alice Bell who’s clever; I’m just following instructions
I’m plotting lots of other socks, several of which are inspired by New Pathways: Bartholomew’s Tantalising Socks for partner-R, who turns out to like the handpainted red and green Opal I ill-advisedly bought on holiday last year, hoorah; Coriolis spirals for me from the red and pink sock yarn that Frax currently has custody of, and especially the Clematis vine socks, with vertical stripes, because I agree with Cat Bordhi: two-handed knitting is coooool.
Which brings me to my ‘new’ project. It’s not new at all, really. I cast on for BMP sometime towards the end of November, and almost immediately sent the project into hibernation awaiting me getting around to learning to knit continental – dropping and picking up the yarn every other stitch was driving me potty. But now I’ve finished a project I’m allowed* to start another, and since I’ve now learnt continental (knit stitch, anyway; I still have to look up how to purl, and my muscles haven’t learnt it yet), I’ve now properly started making gothic space invaders The contrast between the purple and the black isn’t perfect, but I figure over the whole sock it will become more obvious. And I really like how they look so far. The Knitwitches yarn is lovely, and knitting one yarn with one hand and the other with the other is loads of fun.
*This doesn’t, of course, mean that I only ever have a certain number of projects on the needles – I might easily start yet another before I finish the next, but I’ll worry a tiny bit about my attention span and lack of finishing ability. If I’ve just finished a project I don’t need to worry
I’m actually plotting another sock project, which I might end up casting on for before these are done, but that’s a matter for my next post…