Sekrit project 2 revealed: magnetic Katamari

On holiday last year, Kauket got me hooked on the PS2 game We love Katamari. Long before I had ever played it, I’d spent a lot of time watching other people playing, and shouting things like “get the elephant!”. A Katamari, you see, is a magic sticky ball which picks up anything you roll it over that is smaller than its current size, so you start off rolling up paperclips, and end with rolling up continents, passing through elephants (and tigers, and giant squid, and dinosaurs – I don’t know why the most appealing things to pick up are all animals) on the way.

I had previously come across this crochet pattern for a Katamari with magnets, but since I didn’t know how to crochet, had filed it under ‘cool but impractical’ and mostly forgotten about it. I’m not much of a computer gamer (can’t knit at the same time), so didn’t play Katamari for a while, until I introduced my parents to the game last autumn, and then bought them a copy, and a PS2 to play it on, for Christmas. Since they’re even less gamers than I am, it seemed only polite to unlock all of the levels for them, so I spent the first few days of my Christmas holiday playing a lot of Katamari (in the name of giving, you understand).

Coming with surprising haste after Christmas, as it always does, was female-R’s birthday, and I remembered the crocheted Katamari. One evening was enough for me to teach myself basic crochet, and another was enough to make the base ball-shape. With the arrogance of an newbie, I modified the pattern to make the ball in one piece instead of two, and then ordered some magnets from the interweb, and waited for them for days when unexpectedly heavy snow stopped all of our post.

Media_httpa6voxcom6a0_pjteb
Media_httpa7voxcom6a0_atgkb
Media_httpa1voxcom6a0_azlaf
Media_httpa6voxcom6a0_wogfh
Working out how to place the nubs, once I’d made them, was difficult. I started by sewing on the poles, and then made several attempts at placing the others, but eventually came up with a plan – I used waste yarn (it’s visible in the third and fourth pictures above) to mark the ball into quarters, then sewed on the equatorial nubs halfway between the quarter marks, which made it easy to place the rest. I’m so happy with the results I’m planning to make another for myself :-)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend