I can haz drum carder! (And other animals)

This is my lovely new drum carder, which arrived yesterday, and which has already got through hours and hours worth of hand carding in a very short time indeed :-) I’ve now carded all of the lilac alpaca which is destined to be my MiL’s Christmas present, and spun the first lot of it; I’m intending to spin most if not all of the rest of it this evening, and then it will be ready for washing and plying, hoorah. I’ve also made a start on carding the black alpaca, which will end up carded again, with the purple merino, to make goth-coloured yarn.

Media_httpa5voxcom6a0_ffnta
Media_httpa7voxcom6a0_xmmpc
Media_httpa0voxcom6a0_ydzyr

I was intending to make this into a wrap for me, and had originally thought of one of the beautiful spiky lace shawls I keep seeing on Ravelry, but in the same delivery from Fibrecrafts as the carder was another package, which I’m not entitled to enjoy for about six weeks: the loom R is giving me for my birthday. I’ve got two projects planned for this, and one of them is the gothmerino-alpaca – a nice simple rectangle of plain weaving to make the kind of wrap I like best. The other weaving project I’m planning is one I’ve already talked about: the autumn coloured wrap, with one ply of burgundy merino and one of variegated autumn-leaves colours. For a while I looked around for fibre in the colours I want, and then when I gave up on that, I looked around for undyed fibre and dyes to produce it myself, but then I remembered that Freyalynn (who dyed my Wisteria and Caribbean fibre) also does custom dye jobs, so my autumn leaves fibre has now been commissioned! This will be a birthday present from my parents. I believe in planning ahead in such matters :-)

Media_httpa3voxcom6a0_gbckl
Media_httpa4voxcom6a0_clcfx
Media_httpa5voxcom6a0_rpxrd
Media_httpa2voxcom6a0_rhjtk
Media_httpa1voxcom6a0_ajseh
Things have not been quiet on the knitting front, either. I finished the Child(no)hoodie for my niece, but the gauge was off on the sleeves, so I’ve frogged them (one frogged sleeve in the first photo above), and I’m redoing them differently. Picked up stitches around the armhole to make sure they fit, and plain red until the garter stitch cuff, because I thought the stocking stitch stripes looked odd with the garter stitch, and because this way I’ll have more orange left so can make an orange-and-red striped hat with the leftovers. The recipient now has independent existence, but we haven’t been to meet her yet, so I have a little while left to finish knitting her welcome gifts :-)

And Clessidra is coming along nicely. The heel is turned, and I’m into the ankle, and am just about to take measurements and make calculations for the calf increases.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend