One and a bit Bellatrices; various musings

Media_httpa4voxcom6a0_njijd

Media_httpa2voxcom6a0_rlvrt

Yesterday I finished the first Bellatrix, and I’ve just now finished the toe of the second :-)

The first picture is the non-gusset side of the first sock, the second is the gusset side – since this is Cat Bordhi’s sidestream sockitecture, the two sides are very different. There’s a yarn over section near the beginning of the gusset, from before I decided to leave it in plain stocking stitch, so I’m intending to go back and work the loose yarn along the row to remove it. It looks fine as is, anyway, so it’s not a big deal.

I’ve been thinking about how Ravelry’s ‘percentage complete’ box works with socks. When I finished the first one, I triumphantly changed the project to ‘50% complete’, and now, even though I’m sure the toe doesn’t actually constitute 10% of a sock (and therefore 5% of the total project), I’ve just changed its status to 55%, to signify that I’ve begun the second. I only permit myself to reach 25% and 75% once I’ve completely turned the heel, even though that’s probably more like two-thirds than half of a sock. This is also complicated by my uncertainty about whether I’m estimating percentage of stitches or percentage of time – the toe and the heel both take much longer per stitch than the foot or the leg do; with the whirlpool toe this is particularly obvious, since each plain knit round takes much less time than the corresponding increase round, especially at the beginning. If I’d had a stopwatch to hand as I was thinking these thoughts while knitting the toe just now, I would probably have started timing rounds and calculating seconds per stitch ;-)

I’ve also been enjoying my ‘progress report routine’. When I reach a stage in a project that I feel is worth documenting (which is often as much to do with how I feel about a project as reaching milestones in it), I take photos, download them from the camera, import into iPhoto for editing, then export to the desktop. From there I drag them into my Flickr uploader, title, describe and tag them, then upload to Flickr and put into appropriate sets. Next I add to the new photos to the Ravelry project, change the project’s percentage complete, and if I want to show the photos or have something to say about the project, I blog them here. I started this blog to provide a structure for me to keep track of projects and write about them, and the combination of the blog and Ravelry means I’m able to think much more critically (in the neutral-not-negative sense) about my knitting and my spinning, and apply my innate geekiness to them. This makes me happy :-)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend