I’ve been working on these socks for such a long time that it seems impossible that I’ve finally stopped faffing with them and published the pattern
I cast on for my first pair in December 2008, and finished the third (and the prototype of the properly-written-up pattern) in February 2014. And now the pattern is available, and I can stop fiddling with them:download it from Ravelry here!
These are two-at-a-time double knit socks, worked inside out, which means you don’t need to keep moving the yarn backwards and forwards (using English and continental knitting techniques). The fraternal rather than matching colour choice is partly because I like that, and partly because that makes it much less likely that you’ll accidentally twist stitches. So these should be a much easier, less risky version of doubleknit socks than the standard one.
I haven’t done much knitting since I got back from holiday, so it’s taken until today to finish the heel:
All is not going smoothly, however – I twisted some stitches when starting the leg, and now have to do some complicated untangling. Writing this blog post is useful procrastination
I’ve also been doing some weaving on the red leaf wrap (no photos, cos they wouldn’t look any different from the last time I photographed it), after showing the loom off to my parents yesterday re-enthused me about the project
I’ve just come back from a week roleplaying in Lincolnshire, during which I did quite a lot of knitting – my second pair of push-me-pull-you socks, for R this time (on the equivalent roleplaying holiday last year, I also made socks for him). I took this photo as I was just about to turn the heel:
The heel is progressing slowly so far, because I got my yarns mixed up and had to tink about three rows, but I think I’ve got it fixed now.