I’ve just uploaded the update of Dylan’s elephants to Ravelry, now available in sizes from newborn to 3 years, and with yarn requirements for each section, making it a great stash buster to use up ends of sock yarn (not that this is what I did with my second knit of it, ahem).
Making progress with test knitting a larger size of Dylan’s Elephants – just starting on the first striped sleeve, after careful yarn weighing and calculating to decide which sections to do in which colours. Just crossing my fingers that the blue holds out for two striped sleeves!
I finished Ralph’s scarf (pattern: Clincher by Ash Kearns; yarn: Malabrigo sock in Ravelry Red and Knit Picks Palette in black), and he’s been wearing it around the house even though the weather is warm
And off the back of publishing the one-size version of the Dylan’s Elephants pattern, I’ve written the sized-up version (four sizes: 0-3m, 6-12m, 12-24m and 2-3y) and am test knitting one of them in an assortment of bits of left over sock yarn. If anyone reading this knows doubleknitting (or wants to learn) and has someone in their life who’s under 3 and would like an elephant cardigan, email me – I could do with another test knitter.
I designed and knit this cardigan a couple of years ago, for Dylan, who is the second son of my oldest friend. The pattern’s been lurking in my not-quite-finished pile for ages, but today I suddenly felt inspired to finish writing it up, so it’s now available to on Ravelry, for £2 – this is my first paid pattern.
Even so, there’s more to do. This is currently one-size, for a newborn, and I’m planning to add more sizes to the pattern, and there’s a ‘sister’ pattern, called Violet’s Dragon (designed for the daugher of my third-oldest friend), which is still in that unfinished pile. But for now, the doubleknit elephants are on parade!
First this yarn was a cardigan that I liked, but which was too broad in the shoulders and was never quite comfortable. Then it was a sweatrr, but it was a bit too small, and I didn’t really like the blobs.
But then TechKnitter unvented a new steeking technique which I wanted to try, so I convinced myself that the yarn wouldn’t bear another frogging and reknitting and took scissors to it.
The steek technique is great, and creates beautiful edges, and the cardigan gives every appearance of having been designed expressly for my mum, who is much happier with it than I ever was. I call that a win.
…Yeah, I know. And the pope shits in the woods.
After saying I might get a pair of mittens out of the green-and-orange combo when I’d finished Tomten and the jester hat, I realised that I really should weigh the remaining yarn and work out how much of it was left. It was more than I thought:
This is the seamless baby kimono, with added colourwork – the large star at centre-back is intarsia (apart from the points at the bottom, which are stranded), and the band of small stars are stranded. The light-green-and-orange doesn’t work very well from a contrast point of view, because the colours are too similar in brightness, but it was fun knitting it, and has reminded me that even though I’m evidently incapable of maintaining motivation for stranded knitting for two socks, I do enjoy it in smaller amounts.
Since taking the photo, I’ve finished the body, and am now working on both sleeves in parallel, because I’ll be finishing them on fumes and I want the stripes to match. Sadly there’s not enough yarn left to do a band of the smaller stars on the sleeves as well.
Tomten is now finished, apart from the buttons and button loops. I’m trying to source some green plastic toggles for this, but I can’t finish the icord trim until I know what I’m doing about fastenings.
Despite being made of the same yarn, at the same gauge, the jester hat doesn’t match the hoodie at all, which is good and nicely avoids the absurdity of making a hat to go with a hoodie
I might make some little pom-poms for the corners of this, and I’ve got a fair chunk of yarn left, so I’ll probably make some mittens as well.